Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hirakawa



we tried to get out of the city on Saturday for a day trip to an island.  The traffic in the direction we tried to go was at a standstill (because of Obon) so we went to Hirakawa zoo.  We've driven by it about a 100 times, and were never into the idea of going.  It's not like we have kids.

We were shocked by how many different animals they have!  we saw:  a lion, tiger, jaguar, hippo, rhinos, giraffes, elephants, ostriches, wolves, penguins, many many kinds of monkeys, kangaroos, koalas, bobcats, pythons, alligators, bats, porcupines, llamas, owls, and so many other exotic birds.  that's all I can think of, but there were many more.  I hadn't been to a zoo in many many years, so it was very cool to see all of the interesting animals.

The only drawback is how sad and uncomfortable most of the animals seem in the extreme heat and humidity of a Kagoshima summer.  Plus, being behind bars isn't quite natural.  Without the space to roam freely, some of the animals were at a constant state of pacing back and forth in their cages.  I know how I sound, so I won't say any more. It is a zoo.  Anyway, I hope this explains why there aren't many photos posted of animals...


2 comments:

elle said...

Hi there! I've been browsing the blog world and I'm glad I've stumbled upon yours. I've always wanted to visit (and perhaps live for a while) in Japan, but since can't really do that at the moment, I think I'll just live vicariously through your photos and accounts..hope you don't mind :-)

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

marisa said...

I'm glad you found me ^_^